The monument is located almost at the centre of the island, at a crossroads near Tha Rua.
It was erected in 1967 to honour two sisters – Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthon - who are celebrated for having help save the island from Thailand's traditional enemy, the Burmese, who invaded in 1785.
According to legend, they arranged for hundreds of Phukets women to dress as male soldiers and then paraded them through the town.
The invading Burmese army was fooled into thinking these "soldiers" were reinforcements from Bangkok and made a hasty retreat.
The statue is frequently used as a backdrop for various events and commercial purposes.